Monday, July 2, 2012

VivoCity Craft Market 30th June to 1st July 2012 Post-mortem

Dear readers,

Over the weekend I was at VivoCity Craft market. As always, it started out with a taxi ride. This time, a taxi driver who lived in my neighbourhood drove me. He called out to me from the 3rd storey of a car park: Muay, muay! It took me a while to realise the voices were from above. I almost went crazy for a while there.

He was a very chatty driver. Told me his whole life story and his grievances with his kids. We compared notes about raising teens and our water/power bill.  (His family uses 3 times what mine uses and his has only 1 more member) To be honest, I'm not a chatty person especially with taxi drivers. But he was quite an interesting character and had the habit of brand-dropping. Like, my Rolex watch.... Gosh, I should have worn my Marc Jacobs. (ahem)


When I reached VivoCity, the first thing I do is to check where my counter is. Alas, I was allocated the table of death. For the uninitiated, any table that isn't on the perimeter is a table of death. And based on my history, I have always done badly when allocated such a table. Some sellers NEVER get the table of death. I do not know why but I've done a few tours of duty already.

Well, never mind. Table of death or not, the market goes on. While setting up the display, the lady with the spray can which triggered my migraine showed up and her allocated counter was right next to me. I felt like it would be the longest weekend of my life once again.

But I told myself my fengshui was different this time. My counter was close to the door and the sea breeze came in now and then. Speaking of sea breeze, I tried to reach into the deep dark depths of my brain to recall the Geography lessons I had learnt as a teenager. Breeze coming in from the sea - is that sea breeze or land breeze? I have zero memory of any Geography I had learnt.

Anyway, it turned out to be not as bad as before. Yep, the spray can was used. Again and again and freaking again. I did get a migraine. It was horrific at times but I think I tolerated it a teensy better this time. Anyway, I got all doped up. So, on Sunday, my dear kids came to help out and for dinner they went to Pizza hut but they couldn't eat the last slice of pizza which they brought back to me wrapped in a paper napkin. So I was staring at the last slice of pizza and wondering if I should eat it. I know cheese isn't good for me. It gives me headaches. It's been proven.

Then I kept thinking to myself. I already have migraine. I'm on medication. And I really, really gave it a good long thought

I mean, we have but this one short life.
We live. We die. And in between, let's have a bit of cheese now and then?

With that ringing endorsement, I ate the last slice of pizza. It was delicious. It had a lot of cheese including the orangey kind hidden in the crust.

Of course I immediately regretted it. What's wrong with me? And what stupid, stupid half-assed philosophy is this?

We live. We die. And in between, let's have a bit of cheese now and then?

I can't eat cheese. And I better remember that. So, listen people. Don't ask for my advice regarding eating anything because you know what I would say.

We live. We die. And in between, let's have a bit of ______ (insert food) now and then?

But good news. I checked the schedule and for my next VivoCity craft market date, she won't be there. One less thing to worry about. Oh, today the puffiness on my face finally subsided. I'm wondering. What the hell is in the spray can?



Have I ever shown you how I display some of my bags? I let them sit on the gridwall.

Enough blabber. Let's get down to business.


11 sexy zippy wristlets went to VivoCity.



And then 3 sexy zippy wristlets were left.


And this little black and white sexy zippy wristlet went
"wee wee wee" all the way home.


And this black and white crossbody bag did not find a buyer either.


You know, over the years, people and these are well-meaning people have often said to me:

Jane, why don't you make more bags in black and white. They will sell very well.

The next time anyone says this to me, this will be my reply:

Shaddup

Sales was pretty good despite my table of death location. You know what this means? There are no tables of death.


I wore my uniqlo Barbie tees. Maybe these are my new lucky tees? My smile looks a little strained on account of the head pain.



I sat behind Ruby, someone I've known from my MAAD days. She takes scraps and makes stuff out of them. Awesome. Check her out here.


Hey, guess who showed up on Saturday???????

This, my dear readers is MeiLing from Malin Textile whom I buy my lovely, lovely fabric from. How sweet of her to visit my little craft market and buy a sexy zippy wristlet from me? And yes, she is the one who sold me the blue fabric! I was so touched and so happy. Her shop has a facebook here.

My stock is low once again. It is good news. Of course it is good news. Will worry about my stock level later. I'm happy I sold a few brooches because I really want to make more. See ya.

9 comments:

The Art of Vintage Jewelry and Design said...

Well Jane - at least you went out laughing all the way to the bank!!!

Miranda said...

Well, it's good to know that you sold some stuff. Maybe you need to complain about spray chick. I mean it can't be good for anyone to be using it indoors. They might already have rules about that kind of thing but they aren't being enforced??
I had to look up sea breeze on Wikipedia. It's more complicated than I want to type here, but I'm going with sea breeze not land breeze (I didn't even know there was "land breeze").

Dee said...

Yeay for a successful market despite the challenges. Glad you are starting to feel better.

I agree wit the other commenter that speaking to the managers of the market/centre is a good idea.
Here in Aust there are rules about such things and I would be surprised if there weren't similar ones in Singapore too. Most sprays contain warnings about toxic fumes. Many sprays not only recommend using outdoors in well ventilated spaces, but also not bringing back into populated spaces for a period of time due to fumes.

Susana said...

Su taxista podría vivir en Buenos Aires querida Jane ,son iguales.Su ubicación de la muerte debe existir en todos los lugares del mundo.Siempre trato de ubicar ese sector rápidamente y allí comienzo,tengo verdaderos tesoros .
El blanco y negro me encanta , compraría su bolsa seguramente ,pero tiene usted razón ,mi opinión va siempre contra la mayoría. Odio el queso.Cariños-

antmee said...

I have started making your sexy zipper wristlets! I have nearly finished two. Just have to hand stitch the lining closed. Anyway my mum came over and saw them and said how wonderful they are. Beautiful. She never gushes over my bags when I show her some. I guess your wristlet pattern has impressed the tough old broad!

I am going to have to make her one now!

antmee said...

I have started making your sexy zipper wristlets! I have nearly finished two. Just have to hand stitch the lining closed. Anyway my mum came over and saw them and said how wonderful they are. Beautiful. She never gushes over my bags when I show her some. I guess your wristlet pattern has impressed the tough old broad!

I am going to have to make her one now!

Dee said...

I just read this post again - I know some of us are just plain ol' stalkers... ANd I laughed out loud again at that bit about "we live, we die and in between why not eat some cheese." you sure crack me up.
just sayin'.

Chris H said...

You are so funny !
I am glad you did well at the table of death!
And stop eating cheese girl!!!

punkychewster said...

Yay! If you think there are no table of deaths means you have mastered the art of selling at craft markets! At least thats what it sounds like to me! And oh! I love Malin Textile! I didn't know they have FB page. So going to Like it now!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2