Thursday, July 11, 2013

Look what I sewed on my no-sewing break

Internet friends,

Technically I'm still on a no-sewing break. I really wanted to step away from the sewing machine and just breathe. And live like a normal human being and not worry if I have made enough bags for my craft market. My mini "vacation" has been going really well. Today we're finally taking care of moving more furniture around in one of the bedrooms. We had the dressers in the living room for a while now and dare I say it? They could easily remain in the living room for good. We're really lazy people.


Oh, we went to see The Lone Ranger. Before the movie, hubs said the reviews were negative. I am one of those people who refuse to listen to movie reviews. I am a fan of Johnny Depp and although I can't say I've seen all his movies (I may have skipped a couple of the pirates), I have seen the important ones.

The movie, The Lone Ranger turned out to be fantastic! I haven't enjoyed a movie so much for so long and I have seen a lot of movies. I'm so glad I don't listen to critics!


Oh and guess what? I made a bag. Oh, no. The sewing machine won. It was no-stress sewing so its okay. It is meant for my next craft market. Speaking of which, the next craft market is likely to be my last one for quite a while. I'm taking a break to take care of my pattern business. Because of that, I'm thinking it's wise if I don't make too many items as I still have stock. I can't tell if my next sales will be good or bad and I don't really want my stock to sit around for months. With that in mind, I'm going to be selective about the kind of bags I make the next 2 weeks.


I used soft batting for the body and as a result, the bag feels cushiony. The batting is expensive. And why is that? Why are the interlining of a bag so expensive? Certainly you can buy in bulk and save but I don't have the kind of money to sink into bulk buying. I feel like us bag-makers in Singapore are at the mercy of the miserable number of shops selling interlining. Yes, this is a bag supply related rant.


I gave this bag two pockets - a zipper pocket and a patch pocket. Usually I'm quite stingy with pockets. In my next blog post I'll show you how this bag came about. The evolution, if you will.

Do you like the fabric I used for the bag? Sadly I only bought 1/2 a yard. Waaaah!!! The laundry hung on strings is so charming. Would you believe back in the old days in the village, my mother used to hang laundry this way?

Later alligator.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jane,
I think you did a great job on the bag. The fabric is cute and I love the way you made the colors echo in the handle and the interior.
The problem with interfacing is that only the expensive stuff is good, but people won't understand it nearly doubles the prize of the bag, since it is something you don't really see.
Good luck with your pattern making, I am doing one myself, it is hard work alright!

Jane Lee said...

I love this fabric and the simplicity of this design. Good work.

Yeah.... sewing machine won most of the time.... XD

Bethany said...

I LOVE that fabric!!!!!I'm trying to decide if I want to do a craft fair this fall. My first one was less than stellar but when I look back at what I was selling and thinking was wonderful I laugh because I look at what I can make now and wonder what I was thinking way back then. But if I don' do so hot again--I don't want piles of stock either. Decisions, decisions...

Sandy said...

I love that fabric - can't wait to hear how you put this bag together, it's terrific.

Glad you didn't listen to the critics and enjoyed the movie :)

Chris H said...

I too have only heard negative reviews of that movie. I doubt I will see it at the movies, but will see it once it's out on DVD.
Your 'no sew' day bag is lovely.
We still hang our washing out on the line!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2