Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Whole Wheat Popovers

I'm on a roll. Today I baked again. This time, something different. Last year I borrowed Baking With Julia (Child) from the library and I wanted to bake popovers but I couldn't find all the parts of my old blender. After my "successful" Dutch egg cakes on Sunday, plus a second attempt yesterday(so yummy and addictive), I wanted to try something new.

If you have watched Baking With Julia, you will know it is Marion Cunningham who baked the popover. She made it look so easy I had to try!

If you are interested in the recipe, here's a version very close to Marion Cunningham's recipe but she mixes by hand. This other version uses a blender.

I don't know if there's a difference between mixing by hand or using a blender but since I have found my old blender, I decided to do it the blender way.

I decided to use whole wheat flour again and found a recipe which uses it. Here. I followed it 100%.

I used a muffin tray and this was what the popovers looked like fresh from the oven. I think whole wheat flour will always result in flatter looking bakes. Although I oiled the muffin tray really well, there was a lot of sticking. It was a bitch to wash.

Inside it's airy.

It's basically a bun of crust. I ate it with olive oil butter. (19% olive oil)

On its own, it's really plain. It tastes like bread. My girl didn't like it because she hates bread. Hubs says it's ok. He took 4 to work. Son ate one and said he didn't mind eating it again for breakfast. So I think it's a success.

I had to use 2 ramekins because my muffin tray couldn't fit everything. I think I prefer using the muffin tray because these ramekins are hard to remove from the oven.

The next time I bake these, I will grease up the muffin tray better or use muffin paper holders.

1 comments:

tammy said...

These look good! Last time I made popovers nobody wanted to eat them, so I put them in the freezer. When we take them out, we usually fill them with a custard or ice cream, so I think even if I made them with wwflour, they'd still end up being really unhealthy.

I hope you're having fun with all this baking!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Bag Pattern Shop

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane

My Applique Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2

My Embroidery Patterns

https://www.etsy.com/shop/projectsbyjane?section_id=15580078&ref=shopsection_leftnav_2